[squid-users] Squid Authentication utilising user group definitions in a separate file

From: Glenn Baptista <glenn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 17:24:58 +0530

Hi,

I realise that user authentication in squid is done via an external
authentication program (e.g. NCSA module) with the appropriate password
file. Administratively it is preferable to write Authentication ACLs
using Groups rather than User Names. Hence grouping ACLs are defined
that enumerate users within a group. Each time a new user is added,
besides the passwd file, even the squid.conf file has to be modified to
add the user to the required group ACL.

Instead of each time modifying the squid.conf file, is it possible to
utilise another file (e.g. group.conf) where we may define ACLs that
assign users to groups, while maintaining the squid.conf file constant,
and including the group.conf into squid.conf using some sort of an
include statement?

I ask this question because I would like to modify the users
automatically through a program, and would prefer to autogenerate only a
small file, rather than the complete squid.conf where many options are
unlikely to be changed over time.

Also is it possible to add the user group(s) directly to the
/squid/etc/passwd file that is used by the NCSA module or is there some
other authentication module that takes care of user groups? I am using
RedHat Linux 7.3 and 9.

Thanks

Glenn