Re: [squid-users] advisory message before browsing

From: Rolf <rolf@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 12:08:13 +1100

Hello

Thanks very much. To follow up...

>> I can get that a redirector would be handy - squid sends the
>> requested url to the redirector (any url or only unapproved ones for
>> eg) which is then rewritten to the advisory page. This would display
>> the advice page in the same browser window. But then how does one
>> construct the mechanism to continue to the requested url?

> b) Have the redirector send the original URL as a query argument to
> your policy page, allowing the policy page to redirect back to the
> original URL when the policy is accepted and this user has been added
> to the "policy accepted database".

Have done this and it works beautifully. Used a short javascript that
accepted ?url=www.orig.url as an argument to the policy page url. Was
quite simple.

>> Further how is this accomplished so that the warning advice only
>> appears upon first using the browser (time limited or what)?
>
> If you do this in the proxy time is about the only variable you have.

I am quite happy to have time as the measure to determine when the
policy page re-appears.
Though I am a bit stuck here.
Is it possible to adapt the proxy auth mechanism I am wondering.
All users will be subject to basic auth upon first trying a url.
Having been authenticated they get to the policy page, but upon return
from the policy page, I can't see how to know they've been there and
not to redirect them again.
This is indeed your excellent "policy accepted database" idea, but how
can I implement it? Can I do so with ACLs and redirector_access?

It sounds like it needs some database arrangement that is populated by
the script that runs the policy page. And de-populated by some other
scheduled task that removes old entries. BUt, how does squid see these
entries?

thanks again

rolf.