RE: [squid-users] SQUID Transparent Captive Portal w/ Authentication

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 11:56:53 -0800

So you are looking to do authentication with an Intercepting proxy... So many say it can't be done, but than answer is incomplete. HTTP authentication can't be used with an intercepting proxy.

Look into the external_acl_type. Something that uses the Client IP (passing OK for those that source from non-authenticated ranges, or those who have authenticated) and sends people to a custom deny_info page (where they can read the TOS and authenticate) would probably work.

I'm sure there is someone who has done this, as this question comes up occasionally... (http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200505/0001.html for example).

Chris