[squid-users] Path MTU discovery problem, question

From: john allspaw <jallspaw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 17:40:27 -0700 (PDT)

Hey all -

 it's clear that some of our users are experiencing some sort of networking issue, and I believe that it is the age-old pmtu problem.

 we're using squid as a surrogate/accelerator for photos, and users that are far away (europe/UK) are having issues with loading some images from the squid servers we have.

 their browsers spin and spin, and finally time out.  this problem goes away when they disable their DSL firewall, so I suspect it's the Path MTU discovery issue.

 I have:
 httpd_accel_no_pmtu_disc on

 in squid.conf, but I hesitate to:

 # echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc

 on the squids themselves, since it's production and I'm not 100% that it won't interrupt service.
 will it ?  is there anything else that folks might suggest to confirm that it is the pmtu problem ?

 our squids sit behind a LB, with URL hash as it's balancing algorithm.
 thanks in advance,
 john