Re: [squid-users] Effect of 1xx series responses on proxies for subscription protocol

From: Benjamin Carlyle <benjamincarlyle@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:51:53 +1000

On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 19:51 +0200, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, Benjamin Carlyle wrote:
> > I've collected some research to date on several aspects of how the
> > protocol will be handled by proxies, but my chief unknown at present is
> > how the returned updates will be handled. My model is that a new 1xx
> > series return code be introduced to carry these messages, and that a
> > typical subscription consist of (request using SUBSCRIBE method (or
> > similar), 1xx response * n, final non-1xx response). My hope is that
> > these can be intermingled on a single persistent connection as follows,
> > in a conversation that is in some ways similar to pipelining:
> > 1) SUBSCRIBE resourceA HTTP/1.1
> > 2) receive 1xx response with initial state information for A
> > 3) SUBSCRIBE resourceB HTTP/1.1
> > 4) receive 1xx response with initial state information for B
> > 5-n) receive 1xx responses intermingled for both A and B
> This is not a valid HTTP sequence. There must be some form of non-informal
> response to the first SUBSCRIBE requests before the next request can be
> processed.

I was beginning to think this might be the case.

> For a protocol to work correctly over HTTP it must
>
> a) Not depend persistent on connections. HTTP connections are by
> definition hop-by-hop transport links, not end-to-end. (8.1.3)
>
> b) Each request must be self-contained (logical from 'a') only relying
> on it's own data and connected state information known to be possessed by
> the server at the time the request was sent. If there is session sequence
> dependency on other requests then a request must not rely on
> information/actions not yet acknowledged by a non-informal message by the
> server. (8.1.2.2)
>
> c) Replaying of the same request should not be harmful if a safe or
> indempotent method is used (9.1)
>
> d) Slight reordering of requests may be expected. This applies both on
> pipelined and requests sent over separate connections. A proxy is allowed
> to split a pipeline and send the requests in parallell on separate
> connections if it desires.

I've done a small write-up of my current thinking at
http://members.optusnet.com.au/benjamincarlyle/benjamin/blog/2005/08/07#internetSubscription

I think it's clear that even my updated model is flawed. Trying to hold
off waiting for a change before sending a response is bound to cause
major disruption to (unaware) proxy connection handling.

It seems that the HTTP protocol can't be extended safely (ie in a way
that doesn't harm older proxies) to support a subscription protocol of
the ilk I've been considering. This leads me to think that another
protocol needs development to support the concept, or perhaps a new HTTP
protocol version developed that would be negotiated away should an older
proxy be put in-between client and server. Clients would be forced to
fall back to a polling technique if one of the current HTTP versions
were used.

The reason I've been applying my misguided thinking about end-to-end
connections from client to server is in the vain hope of building
something that could work now, rather than having to convince everyone
that this kind of subscription is a good idea before it starts to work
at all. I believe that the kind of subscription I have in mind could
work effectively with a new generation of subscription-aware proxies
which could return the subscription model to one of hops rather than
end-to-end connections. A client may request subscrpition to a URL of a
proxy, and the proxy could return data relating to the subscription
directly from its cache. The cache itself could be updated via a
connection to the next proxy or to the origin server. To my mind the
current infrastructure of the web would be suitable for an
Internet-scale subscription model, but I'm losing hope that there is a
harmless interim step that can be taken to get there. Without that
working prototype I believe it will be much harder to achieve the
overall objective, from the political perspective.

Oh, well. Perhaps I'll go back to working on small-scale trial
implementations for the time being...

Thanks for your input.

--
Benjamin Carlyle <benjamincarlyle@optusnet.com.au>