RE: [squid-users] configuring Squid to authenticate AND to log users' access toforbidden sites.

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 15:31:34 -0800

I am imagining that you don't want to permit anyone to surf without authentication. In such a case...

http_access deny !authenticados

...would be a better fit. After the first matching http_access line squid stops processing, so the next two lines were never being tested. With the suggested change, authentication will be required, but will not be a "free pass" to surf.

> http_access allow liberado
> http_access deny semacesso
> [...]
> # And finally deny all other access to this proxy
> http_access allow localhost
> http_access deny all
> [...]
>
> In this configuration it allows an authenticated user to
> access any site, even the forbidden ones. OTOH, I put the
> 'liberado' and 'semacesso' lines ABOVE the authentication
> line, the user does not access forbidden sites and Squid logs
> that into Cache.log, but WITHOUT the lame user's login.
>
> 2) Is there a better way to permit access to non-pornographic
> sites (eg esSEX.ac.uk) but block pornographic ones (eg SEX.com)?

Perhaps someone else will have a good answer to this question. I'm not using Squid for content filtering.

> TIA,
>
> Marlon Borba, CISSP.

Chris