[squid-users] FATAL: xcalloc

From: Tomas Palfi <tpalfi@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 10:54:42 -0000

To all,

Every so often, almost daily, I get this message in logs and squid
reloads.

FATAL: xcalloc: Unable to allocate 1 blocks of 4108 bytes!

Squid Cache (Version 2.5.STABLE10): Terminated abnormally.
CPU Usage: 167.029 seconds = 122.739 user + 44.290 sys
Maximum Resident Size: 526264 KB
Page faults with physical i/o: 0

I have checked almost all references to this problem and some of them
are pointing to not enough memory on the server, which is not my case as
I have plenty of that. What puzzles me is the amount of memory being
allocated to a squid process by FreeBSD. I am running several other
caches without any such problems, however, this one is the biggest
cache.

Could this problem be related to the FreeBSD 5.4 operating system not
allocating enough memory for squid? And how could I adjust the OS to
eliminate this happening?

Many thanks

--
tp