[squid-users] Domains without "www." - Probably silly question ....

From: Jakob Curdes <jc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 09:54:35 +0100

... maybe this is a dumb one but I do not see it. We recently
introduced squid at a customer's site as forward proxy and he says now
his browsing behavior has changed. Previously, without proxy, he could
type in a domain without the "www" and get the content. Now if he does
the same, he gets a squid error. I made sure that for the domain in
question a web server is active only for www.xyz.com , not for xyz.com
and no nameserver entries exist for xyz.com. So it seems that the
Browser is doing some sort of rewriting that does not work when using a
proxy ?? Browser here is Firefox.

Glad for any hint,

Jakob Curdes