Re: [squid-users] url_rewrite_program and Squid 2.6STABLE

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 02:39:47 +0100

tis 2007-01-16 klockan 20:20 -0500 skrev Travis Derouin:
> Hi,
>
> I have a few issues that I thought someone might have some advice on.
>
> I read in the documentation that url_rewrite_program was no longer
> required as it was possible to force a domain name, ie. if Squid
> received a request for www1.wikihow.com, you could issue a 301
> redirect to www.wikihow.com.

Yes. This is done by denying the request and using deny_info to redirect
the browser to the correct URL.

> http_port 80 defaultsite=www.wikihow.com vhost
>
> Is that correct, or should it be something else?

The above says you are running an accelerator with domain based virtual
host support, and old HTTP/1.0 clients not sending Host headers will get
be processed as requests for the www.wikihow.com domain.

> FATAL: Too many queued url_rewriter requests (72 on 12)
>
> This didn't seem to be a problem on our other server which was running
> 2.6.STABLE3-20060825, which we just moved off of recently. The new
> server is currently only getting half of the total traffic the old
> server was receiving.

Odd.. Squid-2.6 is the same as 2.5 there..

> 2 questions: Could this be a problem particular to 2.6STABLE6? Are
> there any serious drawbacks to having a lot of url_rewrite_children ?

Main drawback is memory usage by the helper instances.

What is the URL-rewriter used for? And what does it do? IF it's just
local processing of the URL with no external lookups then a single
helper instance is sufficient, but requires the helper to be modified to
use the "concurrent" protocol.

> Ideally I'd like a configuration that doesn't rely on
> url_rewrite_program, I haven't figured out the configuration for that
> yet though.

If you described for what purpose you use the url rewriter helper then
we maybe could help you with that.

Regards
Henrik