Re: [squid-users] Fwd: Multiple Authentication Prompts

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 10:58:00 +0200

tor 2007-04-05 klockan 10:25 -0400 skrev Chris Nighswonger:

> I am having an intermittent issue with squid prompting multiple
> times for authentication especially which using the gmail web
> interface. If I am away from the computer for any length of time, the
> prompts back up so deep that I have to kill the browser process to
> recover.

Sounds like a browser bug to me. You should at most see one proxy login
popup at a time..

> It appears to be an issue with the ntlm type authentication
> because if I cancel out of the ntlm prompt and let squid roll into
> basic the prompts quit.

Not exactly unexpected. basic is a lot simpler and less demanding than
ntlm, and also cached aggressively by both browser and Squid.

> Browser: Firefox 1.5.0.10
> Squid: 2.6.STABLE9
>
> Any thoughts? Or is this yet another ntlm foible?

Seen Apache reports about NTLM being a bit broken in Firefox.

Any messages in cache.log? If it's the same issue then there should be
messages about NTLM message type 3 seen when 1 expected.

Regards
Henrik