Re: [squid-users] Is it possible to allow access to a single site and allow all embedded images to show as well?

From: <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 11:28:23 +1200 (NZST)

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to allow access to a single site, eg. a forum site, and
> allow all the images to display as well even if they are not hosted on
> the forum site itself?

Squid by itself doesn;t scan eth data portion of HTTP objects. It has no
way of knowing where the images are going to come from. you will need an
external checker (ie ICAP) to do this on its behalf, AND ALSO some way for
it to get the images past squid on the fly.

> For example, if a forum user makes a posts and embeds and image from
> Flickr or any other image hosting site, I would still want that image
> to display. However, if the user tried to leave the forum site, the
> user would be blocked.

Do you have control of the forum web server?
I would suggest for now that its an easier solution to configure squid to
allow the webserver access to the general net, make an internal redirector
page that pulls those images into the webserver and sends them out to the
users as if they were on the webserver itself.
Just be very careful that the redirector will only work for internal
clients, and for items placed in the forum.

Amos