Re: [squid-users] Creating a web admin site, suggestions?

From: Manoj_Rajkarnikar <manoj@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 16:43:01 +0545 (NPT)

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007, Jeff Pang wrote:

> 2007/7/9, Elijah Alcantara <elijah.alcantara@gmail.com>:
>

>> I was thinking of saving these rules to the database then if the user
>> clicks on the apply button at the frontend the squid proxy will fetch
>> all these rules from a text/config file that the system created from
>> the database.

you could read the config file itself into a BIG text box where you can
modify whatever, and then when pressed "save" button will write the data
of the text box back to the config file. just a suggestion. DONOT forget
to make backup of config file before the webpage writes back the data.

> The only thing I can think is that you may run webserver with root
> since you need to modify squid.conf and execute 'squid -k reconfigure'

You should not run apache as root effective user. just set permission on
squid.conf to be writeable by effective user of webserver and setuid on
squid binary and use a wrapper to run squid reconfigure. that should do.