Re: [squid-users] Detecting and blocking child proxy servers

From: Tek Bahadur Limbu <teklimbu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:30:39 +0545

Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2007, Tek Bahadur Limbu wrote:
>
>> How do I detect and stop them from operating child proxies.
>>
>> I would really appreciate your help on this matter.
>>
>> This issue has been bugging me for some time now!
>
> I think you need to begin by describing the "why" ..

Hi Adrian,

First of all, I want to convey that I am an ardent fan of Squid and
opensource software. I defend it with my best knowledge whenever
somebody says something against it.

Being an ISP, we have been introducing a very cheap scheme where a
client pays as little as $5 per month for a 64 kbps connection to be
used only on a single PC. Living on this side of world, this is quite a
sacrifice for an ISP.

Now I have found out that some of our clients are using some sort of
proxy server to share and utilize that bandwidth which is burstable.

Since our bandwidth comes via satellite, I am sure you understand that
every piece of bandwidth utilized is like a piece of gold to us.

The basic idea behind detecting child proxies is to discourage such
users because we have schemes which allows them to deploy any number of
PCs or proxies but of course with a higher price tag.

I don't think that I am discouraging Squid usage due to my demands. And
since Squid makes it easy to hide the "X-Forwarded-for" or "Via"
headers, then let them bypass proxy detection!

If they use these or other techniques to hide the headers, then that
will make them even more capable of Squid!

Thanking you...

--
With best regards and good wishes,
Yours sincerely,