Re: [squid-users] Poor SSL performance with 2.6

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 19:59:08 +0800

G'day Stephen,

On Sun, Sep 02, 2007, Stephen wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am using Squid as a forward proxy. Download speeds through the proxy
> to the internet, and internal webservers, are fine.

[snip lots of debugging]

> There is still some possibility that there is some kind of network,
> adapter or adapter driver issue, but can anyone thing of why Squid
> should be far slower from connected clients, than going through its
> loopback address, for ** SSL traffic?** Non-SSL traffic is **fine**. A
> much older version of Squid, 2.3 Stable 4, is also **fine**.

Thats the most useful bit right there - you've found a behaviour regression.
The SSL network code in Squid has been in a bit of flux during Squid's
lifetime.

> I am using Squid 2.6 Stable 14, with select loop (as its the only option
> for my OS) and 8192 filedescriptors. The operating system is set with
> selective ACK on and all the usual BSD-style defaults. The OS itself is
> eCS 1.2R (EMX).

Could you perhaps give the latest Squid-3.0 Pre-release (PRE7) a whirl and
see if it has any better SSL behaviour?

http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.0/

Also, could you please create a Squid Bugzilla entry so this can be tracked?

Adrian