Re: [squid-users] Netscape to Squid conversion Issues

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 17:39:09 +0100

ons 2008-12-10 klockan 15:31 +0100 skrev Matus UHLAR - fantomas:

> However the log line above looks to me (and to Amos apparently too) as
> intercepted request.

No. It's the PAC request. The browser as manually configured to use

   http://proxy.host.net:8080/ as PAC address.

Quote from the original question:

> A. Netscape browsers with manual proxy servers set up for
> http and https as proxy.host.net:8080
> B. Netscape browsers with automatic proxy configuration with
> URL setup as proxy.host.net:8080 (note they're the same).

This means that when the browser goes to fetch the PAC it's requesting

    GET / HTTP/1.1
    Host: proxy.host.net:8080

to the proxy on port 8080.

> I guess that the automatic configuration somehow failed and direct request
> was redirected to the proxy.

Well, it's the PAC request. PAC requests do not use the proxy. But in
this case the browser is configured to talk to the same address as the
proxy for fetching the PAC script.

Regards
Henrik