Re: [squid-users] Squid load-balancing

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 21:39:05 +0000

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 14:33:30 +0100, Artemis BRAJA wrote:
> Hello,
> I want to achieve load-balancing with to Squid instances on a single
> server behind a single IP. All we want is to maximize multi-core CPU
> utilisation, because as far as we now Squid is not multi-core aware.

Greetings,
 I'd like to introduce you to squid-3.2.
 http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.2
It is currently held in beta due to some background structural changes not
having been completed but otherwise ready for testing and for use where it
tests out as usable.

> Is any tested way to do with without going to virtualization.
> Can it be done using wccp and squid running in transparent mode, so we
> can use a Cisco router to load-balance requests?

The current stable releases all support manually configuring and running
multiple Squid instances with a peering heirarchy setup inside the box (no
virtualization required). With a gateway instance or NAT scripts to perform
rough port sharing. Lookup load balancing Squid in google or the Squid FAQ
wiki to get examples and tutorials.

Amos