Re: [squid-users] Squid in accelerator mode: Authenticate X-Forwarded-For headers

From: David Gubler <dg_at_doodle.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 22:28:11 +0100

On 15.12.2010 11:14, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> All the reverse proxy servers will be run by us, so I consider them
>> trusted. But since Amazon does not provide availability guarantees or
>> stable IP addresses and load may change, we might have to add or remove
>> instances on the fly. I'd like to have a system that can handle this in
>> a robust way (reconfiguring Apache doesn't count as robust, too much
>> room for errors).
>

> I was thinking, if the rDNS of the dynamic EC proxies are set
> correctly to produce something in your company domain. Your
> follow_x_forwarded_for ACL tests could use the srcdomain or
> srcdom_regex ACL type to authorize trust without knowing the actual IP
> assigned.

I thought about something involving reverse DNS entries too, and, rather
surprisingly, it actually seems to be supported by EC2. But I don't
trust such a solution very much, because of all the DNS reconfiguration
and caches involved (need to set up forward entries first, wait until
they have propagated etc.; sounds slow and unreliable).

>> I'm using the
>> header_replace X-Forwarded-For
>> directive. If I understood it correctly, it should clear any existing
>> X-Forwarded-For headers, and Squid has no reason to add more than one IP
>> here, so I think it should be fine.
>

> "forwarded_for truncate" replaces the entire header with only the
> immediately connected client IP. The docs appear to be wrongly stating
> squid uses its own IP, fixing them now.
>
> The IP may still be "unknown", IPv4 or IPv6 clients.
>
> Amos
Ok, I'll use that instead. Unknown or IPv6 shouldn't be a problem, since
my apache mod_rewrite stuff will just use the IP address of the proxy
server in this case, and I can look it all up in the proxy's log files -
I'll have to collect them somewhere anyway.

Thanks for your great help!

David