Re: [squid-users] squid's rewrite?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 22:46:09 +0000

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 22:12:29 +0800, "Terry." wrote:
> 2011/2/8 Amos Jeffries:
>

>> What exactly are you trying to achieve?
>>

> Hi amos,
>
> Our backend server is a rails framework, the frontend is squid for
> reverse proxy.
> So I was asking does squid do the stuff of rewrite instead of letting
> rails do that.
>
> Regards.

Squid can:

* re-write (alter the URL as it passes through without informing the
client)
  CON: only possible for HTTP or FTP or Gopher URLs
  CON: every absolute URL and 3xx reply generated by the backend will
break the website
  CON: altering anything in the path portion of the URL will break the
website
  CON: cookies and session based security will break
  ... and a few other cons I forget about, all based on information
leakages or mis-match.

* redirect a client from URL-a to URL-b
 PRO: all HTTP features works
 CON: so-called "private" backend locations are not possible.

* route the request to a peer backend service
 PRO: all HTTP features work
 CON: backend needs to be aware that its listening IP:port are not in the
URLs.

All of these are relatively simple to setup.
Standard reverse-proxy uses the third option, leaving the 30x redirect to
the backend. Though Squid can do 30x as well as needed.

Amos