[squid-users] Usage / Log analysis specifically for a user / website

From: Markus Thüs <markus_at_thues.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 23:09:23 +0100

Hi,

here’s the case: I’ve implemented a squid proxy at a school which requires
the users to authenticate against an LDAP Server. That means when the user
enters a web-address in the browser the Proxy requires the user to
authenticate himself, meanwhile squid logs everything in the background.
Day by day where gathering ~ 550 MB of Access.logs a day.

Fine so far… Now theoretically let’s say a note from the local police
station arrives saying that some user watched something illegal - via the
schools DSL Line - the data protection officer must be able to tell who of
the users did that.

How can I give that kind of functionality to that officer !? In that case
he needs to analyze all logs of that year (365 Files) by means of per user
analysis and per Page / Domain. So an analysis which pages the user
visited when and how often from which place AND a search for which users
view a certain page / domain.

The Proxy itself is running Debian 6.0.3, Squid 2.7 and Webmin.

Any ideas ? How to do that via a web interface ?

Thanks in advance,

Markus