Re: [squid-users] what are the Pros and cons filtering urls using squid.conf?

From: Jose-Marcio Martins <Jose-Marcio.Martins_at_mines-paristech.fr>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 21:09:25 +0200

On 06/11/2013 07:42 PM, Marcus Kool wrote:

>> You should use "degraded service" instead of "interruption of service".
>
> In the first part of this thread the discussion was about interruption of service of the web proxy.
> With ufdbGuard as URL filter solution there is no interruption of the service of Squid.
> And of course, when ufdbGuard reloads, the URL filtering service temporarily degrades.

Errr... Not necessarily. What the version 1.31 does now is trivial and is done in many tools of this
kind.

> FYI: version 1.31 of ufdbGuard - soon to be released - makes the first step towards no degradation
> during reload by supporting dynamic URL categories.
> The dynamics URL categories are loaded while the old ones are still being used and in a split-second
> the new table is made active without any service interruption whatsoever.

It's something like what I suggested on my first message. Happy you followed it. Unless you're very
short in hard ressources ther's no need to discard the old database before finishing loading the
newer one.

That's good.

--
  Envoyé de ma machine à écrire.
   Spam : Classement statistique de messages électroniques -