Re: [squid-users] Re: question in cache mem in squid 3

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 21:52:35 +1200

On 1/08/2013 9:06 p.m., Ahmad wrote:
> hi ,
> i have another question here ,
>
> with my config above with cache_mem is 1000 ,
>
> now if i chance cache_dir to 150 G instaed of 90 G for the 3 hardsisks above
> , which result in total about 150* 3 Giga storage . ===> i note that squid
> wccp service gett flapped every about 40-50 minutes and seems squid to be
> unstable .
>

> but why it affected while im fixing cache_mem to 1000 ???????
>
> is my thought correct ???????
> i mean that im limiting squid_mem to 1 Giga , but i need about memory
> usage of 150*3*15 = about 7 G
>
> shouldn't squid be stable ??
> or it is normal result ??

The WCCP flapping is caused by Squid being too busy with something to
send out its 10s repeated HERE_I_AM update to the router for a few in a
row. If that is triggered by simpy setting large disks it is likely the
CPU cycles consumed by disk I/O and/or garbage collection taking up
Squid's time.

Amos