[squid-users] Re: squid 2.7stable 64bit will not use available memory

From: babajaga <augustus_meyer_at_yahoo.de>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 13:08:22 -0700 (PDT)

>In the 64 bit environment, squid process (64 bit binary) ideally should
consume more memory when it is configured with large disks ( 10MB for 1 GB)
I have 1TB configured for my cache_dir. I would assume that squid would
consume 10GB memory at lest. However it stays at 3.8GB consumption.<
Depends on. I have multiple squid-instances running within 16GB, also in
sandwiched config, 2 of them manage the 2 cache_dirs, on 2 disks, 1.8TB
each.
Memory footprint is 2.1GB for each squid, managing 1.8TB each.

BUT: I only cache large objects.

The point is, that memory consumption mainly depends upon number of objects
cached. AFAIK, 2**24 objects max. in one cache_dir, about 80bytes (may be
something more for 64 bits) for every object.

You should check the avg size of the cached objects in one cache_dir, first.
And then use maths from above for a rough estimate.