Re: Squid spawning 20 processes revisited

From: Miquel van Smoorenburg <list-squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: 25 Jul 1999 21:00:11 +0200

In article <cistron.Pine.LNX.4.03.9907251109460.19381-100000@arakasi.cafelink.com>,
meridian <me@tha.net> wrote:
>Hi,
>I was looking through the mail archive for an answer excpet couldnt seem
>to find one. When I start squid I get 20 processes or so. I have memory
>pools turned off, and cache mem size is only 6 meg. When I ps squid it
>shows 20 processes each with 5.8meg. Someone said that this is simply
>kernel threads to someone who asked a similar question and not to worry.

Indeed.

>However it seems each thread is still taking up 6 megs because gmemstats
>says squid is using over 100megs as does top.

Those programs do not know about threads and are confused.

>how can i decrease the number of processes or threads squid is spawning? i

You can't. It's *not* a process - it's a thread, and it doesn't as
any extra memory. Really.

But if you still are not happy just recompile squid without async-io.
Won't help for the memory usage, but oh well if it makes you
sleep better.

Mike.

--
... somehow I have a feeling the hurting hasn't even begun yet
	-- Bill, "The Terrible Thunderlizards"