Re: How can I configure squid to have a high HIT ratio from cache?

From: Maciej Kozinski <Maciej.Kozinski@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 12:32:34 +0200 (CEST)

Madjid SalimZadeh:

> I have configured squid to use a Winproxy on NT as its parent proxy
> server. Now there are a few requests which are get from squids cache and
> squid gets most of the requests from the cache.
>
> What can I do if I want squid never checks for updates of GIF and JPG
> files with its parent.
>
> I want JPG and GIF files never expire and always be fresh in cache. And
> squid never checks for updates of these files from its parent.
>
> Please help me to configure squid in order to have above settings.

You have to set up refresh_patterns for GIF/JPG very relaxed e.g.:

refresh_pattern -i \.(gif|jpeg|jpg)$ 43200 90% 129600 override-expire

Place it at the beginning of you refresh_pattern list (the best place is just
after the refresh_pattern /cgi-bin/.
This will give you the update for these files mostly once a month with large
probablity to be updated no more often than maximum period declared of 90 days.

Regards,
Maciej

--
           Maciej Kozinski         http://www.uck.uni.torun.pl/~maciek/
	   Remember: Un*x _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about