Many instances but one cache.

From: Anar Babayev Tofig ogli <anar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 13:21:30 +0400 (AZT)

Hello.

Is it possible to run two or more instances of squid on a machine, which
share one actual cache?
The idea is that different clients cause loading of different outgoing
channels.

May be it is possible with one instance of squid?
I know that it can listen to different sockets, but what should I do to bind
it to 3 different outgoing sockets(used by squid for fetching)?

Can this functionality be achieved by using both squid and OS features?
The intended OS is FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE.
The squid must function as a transparent proxy.
I guess it is possible to run 3 squids and even make them talk to each other
via ICP. But each of them will have a dedicated cache and the effective
cache size will be 3 times less while consuming more memory.

Thank you in advance.
Please write to
anar@azeri.com

Anar Babayev