Re: Many instances but one cache.

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 10:15:05 -1000

On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 01:21:30PM +0400, Anar Babayev Tofig ogli wrote:
> Is it possible to run two or more instances of squid on a machine, which
> share one actual cache?

No, unfortunately. You can run multiple instances, but each will have
a separate cache (or possibly no cache for some of them.)

> The idea is that different clients cause loading of different outgoing
> channels.
>
> May be it is possible with one instance of squid?

This *might* be possible. I think people have tried to get something
like this to work by using acls to match different portions of their
client IPs, and preferring different upstream peers/parent caches for
those.

> I know that it can listen to different sockets, but what should I do to bind
> it to 3 different outgoing sockets(used by squid for fetching)?

You would need Henrik Nordstrom's "myport ACL" patches, as normally
Squid does not distinguish which port it is connected to on.

> Can this functionality be achieved by using both squid and OS features?
> The intended OS is FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE.
> The squid must function as a transparent proxy.

This may make it necessary to accept the connections on port 80 for all
of them, which would kill the idea of distinguishing by which port it's
received on.

> I guess it is possible to run 3 squids and even make them talk to each other
> via ICP. But each of them will have a dedicated cache and the effective
> cache size will be 3 times less while consuming more memory.

True. It's probably better to have one squid instance that runs well.

If this is on one machine, can you adjust your routing for this
machine's IP address to balance traffic across your incoming channels?
  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.